What is liniment for baby? How to use it !
A natural and simple product, liniment is one of the products most used by parents. What is it used for? How to use it? We explain everything in this article.
What is liniment ?
Liniment has a natural, simple composition, which makes it a product perfectly adapted to the sensitive and fragile skin of the smallest. It is a product of toilet very easy to use.
Composition and pH of liniment
The liniment oléo-calcaire is composed of two elements: lime water and olive oil. There may also be beeswax for the more nourishing side or essential oils such as lavender oil, chamomile oil etc... To make it a real care product.
As explained previously, liniment is a natural product that does not contain chemicals, synthetic perfumes or other toxic and aggressive components for your baby's skin .
Liniment has an alkaline PH which allows it to neutralize the acidity of urine that can be irritating to your baby's bottom and cause diaper rash.
Benefits for the skin
Liniment is a very moisturizing hypoallergenic product. The olive oil makes it much easier to remove stool residue, and leaves a layer of moisture. It makes it possible to relieve irritations, the cutaneous burns and to prevent erythema of the buttocks. The liniment is also advised for the newborns suffering from dermatological problems like eczema.
How to use liniment for your baby ?
In most cases, liniment is used for the toilet of the seat of baby. It does not require rinsing. It can also be used for other purposes but the main one remains this one.
Since the liniment is a mixture composed of two phases, before using it it is necessary to shake the bottle to mix the two phases and obtain a homogeneous liquid. Then, to carry out the toilet of your baby, there are several stages to be followed:
- Wash your hands before change the layer of your babyThen pour a little liniment on a square of cotton;
- Open your child'sdiaper;
- Clean your child by removing urine and stools, always starting from the pubis towards the buttocks, from the front to the back;
- Repeat the process to make sure your baby's bottom is clean;
- Do not rinse your baby's bottom, the product will moisturize it;
- When your baby's bottom is clean, you can put a new diaper on your baby.
How to choose the right liniment for your child?
Many brands offer their liniment. It can sometimes be difficult to know which liniment to choose... As for all baby products, you should always choose a healthy and natural product.
Look at the composition of the product
To do this, look at the composition list. The shorter the composition list, the more natural the product will be. According to the traditional recipe, liniment is composed of only 4 ingredients: water, olive oil, lime water and a preservative.
Concerning the oil present in the liniment, make sure that it is virgin olive oil (cold pressed) and that it is not mixed with other oils. The benefits will not be the same.
Organic or not : what is the difference ?
When you choose an organic liniment, you choose a product that respects your baby's skin, which is very fragile. As explained previously, you don 't need many ingredients to make a liniment. Moreover, by choosing an organic liniment, you support organic farming.
Regarding the price of liniment, it is usually found around 10 euros. It depends if it is organic or not.
Making your own liniment at home
It is also possible to make your own liniment at home! Since it is a product that requires very few ingredients, with a very simple formula: olive oil, lime water, moisturizing glycerin.
Should I rinse the liniment after use?
There is no need to rinse liniment after using it. On the contrary, you can even take a clean cotton ball to pass one last time on the buttocks of your baby. This will moisturize them and prevent irritation and diaper rash.
If you use a product that can be rinsed off for washing your baby, once the washing is over, the same principle applies: you can apply a little liniment to his bottom.
What are the other uses of liniment ?
If most of the time, liniment is used for the change of your baby, this small product can be used for many other things, in particular in care:
- Moisturize and repair the skin of the breasts: if you are breastfeeding it can be interesting to use liniment to fight against the dryness of the nipples and to avoid cracks for example. Do not forget to rinse the liniment between each feeding;
- To remove make-up: liniment is a fatty and soft product which makes it possible to remove make-up from the sensitive skins, and the eyes. It will not irritate the skin, but remember to rinse it because the pH is not neutral;
- To eliminate the crusts of milk: the liniment makes it possible to remove the crusts of milk which sometimes form on the skull of your baby. You just have to apply it in small quantity and to massage afterwards before the bath of your baby.
The FAQ of liniment for baby
Why do we use liniment for ourselves or our baby ?
Liniment is a natural and simple product, moisturizing and soothing for the skin. It allows you to moisturize and protect your baby's bottom, or even to repair the skin of your breasts if you are breastfeeding.
Is liniment a cleansing product?
No. Liniment is used to cleanse baby's bottom. However, using liniment is not enough and regular cleaning with soap and water is necessary to remove all bacteria.
When should liniment not be used for baby?
In case of redness, infections or diaper rash, avoid using liniment for your baby. In this case, it is necessary to privilege a repairing cream or a cream of change.