Tips for putting a diaper on your baby!
Changing diapers is an unavoidable step for young parents. However, when you've never changed a diaper before, it's not aninstinctive gesture. In this article, we take you through the steps and give you our advice on how to change a diaper.
How to properly diaper your baby
Before you start, make sure you have all your equipment to hand. During the diaper change, keep a close eye on your baby, with one hand always holding him on the table: even a second's inattention could cause him to fall and hurt himself badly.
Position the diaper in the right direction
The first step is to position the diaper the right way round. After placing baby on his or her back, remove the used diaper and dispose of it in the garbage can, taking care to close it securely with the adhesive tapes on the sides.
Next, clean baby's bottom. Then grab your little one by the ankles and gently lift his legs up to his lower back, so you can slip on a clean diaper. How do I know if it's the right way round?
Diapers have colored markings which must be positioned on the front, face up.
Then simply slip the diaper between your baby's legs and place it on your baby's tummy.
Take the two flaps on the sides of the diaper to lift them up and stick the tape on them .
Tighten the diaper to prevent leaks
For avoid leaksTo avoid leaks, it's important to position the diaper correctly and tighten it sufficiently. To check that the diaper is tight enough, simply look to see if you can easily fit two fingers between the diaper and lyour child's stomach . Another indication: the flaps should be roughly symmetrical. To avoid leaks, also turn the cuffs of the legs outwards l.
Make sure baby is comfortable
Make sure your baby is comfortable, check that the diaper is not too tight, that he doesn't feel uncomfortable pulling on it etc., and that there are no red marks, a sign that the diaper is too tight. It is possible that baby may cry during diapering because he's in an uncomfortable situation.
What accessories are needed to put on your baby's diaper?
For change a diaperyou'll need a lot more than just diapers! Here's a list of accessories you can install in your diaper changing bag or under your changing table.
- The changing table: specially designed to help you change your baby. You can also store all your diaper-changing essentials in the table's drawers and shelves: very practical! Prefer models with edges on the sides, to prevent your baby from falling when turning over;
- The changing mat: to be placed directly on the table. Some are equipped with a safety belt to prevent your baby from falling off. But this is no substitute for constant supervision. There are also portable mattresses for when you're out and about with baby;
- A towel or blanket can totally replace a changing table, especially when you're on the move;
- The diaper garbage can: having a special garbage can for your baby's diapers helps to avoid unpleasant odours in other parts of the house;
- Wipes: When you change your baby's diaper, you also need to clean your little one's bottom;
- Protective cream or ointment: diapers can irritate your baby's bottom, and some babies develop diaper rash. To prevent this, it's best to use a repairing/protecting cream or a liniment oléo-calcaire for baby.
How do I know if the diaper is the right size?
To find out if your diaper is the right sizethere are several things to consider:
- When the diaper is in place, you should be able to slip two fingers between baby's belly and the diaper's waistband;
- The diaper should s'stop just below the navel;
- Your baby's bottom is well covered by the diaper, without any holes;
- If your baby has red marks when you change his diaper, it means thatit is too tight or too big;
- If the adhesives don't reach the center of the layer, the layer is too small.
Our tips for diapering your baby
Diaper-changing time can sbe stressful if your baby has a habit of being restless. Here are our tips and things to remember when changing a diaper.
Wash hands before changing clothes
Before any diaper change, remember to wash your hands to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Taking time with baby and keeping him busy
The older your baby gets, the harder it will be to keep him still and calm on his table. To ensure that this moment goes as smoothly as possible, we recommend that you provide your child with something to keep him sbusy. This could be a toy, or another object he hasn't yet discovered. You can place it on top of your baby to keep him lying on his back.
Instead of taking this time as a chore, take the opportunity to take your time (even if this is obviously not always possible), playing and chatting with baby to make it a pleasant moment of sharing. It can even become a ritual.
Cleansing and moisturizing baby's bottom
When you change your baby's diaper, you also need to clean the area that was covered by the diaper, getting between the folds of skin. Use wipes.
Remember: always clean from front to back, to prevent the spread of bacteria. Then, once your baby's bottom is dry, you can moisturize it with a special baby repair and protection cream.
This cream helps prevent irritation caused by diapers.
How do you put a diaper on a little boy?
To change a baby boy's diaper, we recommend you follow the steps detailed at the beginning of this article. Be sure to place a diaper or bib over the baby's penis while you're changing him, to avoid urine landing on the wall or on you. Finally, remember to point the penis downwards before closing the diaper, to avoid leaks.
How do you put a diaper on a little girl?
To change a baby girl's diaper, also follow the diaper-changing steps described at the beginning of this article. For a baby girl in particular, be sure to wipe from front to back to avoid urinary tract infections. Don't forget to wash between the skin folds.
What's the best way to diaper a baby?
The colored markers on the diapers should help you position the diaper in the right direction. They should be facing you, on the front of the diaper.