A bloated stomach at periods : what causes bloating?
Who hasn't felt like they've put on a few pounds and had a swollen tummy as they approach periods ? For many women, menstruation is a time of major hormonal changes. We explain why you feel bloated during menstrual bleeding!
Why is the stomach swollen during periods ?
The menstrual period is often dreaded, and it is possible to experience various disordersheadaches, migraines and chest pains. Some women experience nausea and, of course, the notorious stomach ache during periods.
A few days before your period, during the PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)it's possible to experience bloatingin the lower abdomen.
These discomforts and a bloated stomach during the menstrual period are manifested by :
- From flatulence and foul-smelling gas
- From pain in the lower abdomen
- From heaviness in the stomach
- A noisy digestive tract !
The main causes of stomach pains during menstrual flow are the hormones !
Certain illnesses, such as endometriosis, can accentuate the swelling of the belly, or cause it to persist throughout the cycle. During the menopause, it's also more common to experience bloating due to hormonal changes.
The start of a swollen belly before periods
A few days before the onset of menstruation, after ovulationthe abdomen may begin to dilate. Contrary to what you may think at first sight, abdominal swelling does not come from the uterus, but from your digestive system and your intestines :) In fact, under the effect of hormones, in particular progesteronethe body relaxes and prepares for a possible pregnancy.. This is a particular period of premenstrual syndrome.
A swollen stomach and bloating during periods
Before the periodsunder the effect of increased progesterone production, the muscular tissues around the intestine slow down. Intestinal transit then accumulates gas and stool. Some women experience constipated and have stomach pains before menstruation.
The periods are a sign that theegg has not been fertilizedhormone levels drop and prostaglandins are released. These are responsible for uterine contractions which lead to menstrual cramps blood loss in the first few days. During menstruation, and due to the action of hormones affect the colonwomen may experience diarrhea, farting and bloating.
The swelling of the belly after periods
Once menstruation has passed, hormones will diminish and the intestines will return to normal function. The entire intestinal tract will regain its tonicity. The abdominal wall should then begin to deflate a few days after blood loss has stopped. If this is not the case, don't hesitate to contact a health professional, who will also be able to tell you if there are any other reasons.
How can you avoid a bloated belly and reduce bloating at periods ?
When it comes to periods and PMS, not everyone is equal. To limit abdominal pain abdominal aches and pains during the week of your periods, there are natural remedies and natural methodsthat don't require medication! Relaxation, meditation, relaxation, exercise - these are our top recommendations!
Reduce stress and anxiety
The stress and anxiety play a very important role in your well-being and your body. Stress affects pain management, muscle tension and the digestive system.
How can you reduce stress?
- Physical activity physical activity is good for your mental health
- Meditate and take time for yourself. Free your mind of worries and concentrate on the present moment and your breathing.
- Get enough sleep ! Fatigue increases adrenaline levels and therefore stress levels.
- Laugh ! Release endorphins to reduce anxiety.
- Socialize ! Find comfort in socializing with people you feel comfortable with. This will help you release oxytocin, the love hormone!
Eat a healthy and varied diet
When it comes to stomach pains and periods, most women turn to comfort foods and comfort foods and dishes. But this is not the right solution, even if it is very tempting! To reduce discomfort during this period, diet can have a positive effect on bloating.
Here are the foods to try during periods, which will act as a natural treatment to relieve your bloating and painful cramps:
- Eat as much fibre as possible which promote intestinal transitlimit water retention and, at the same time, have a satiating effect!
- Give preference to tender, cooked vegetables which are easier to digest
- Don't hesitate to eat vegetable soups
- Drink plenty of water outside of meals, at least 1.5L a day.
- Take some vegetable charcoal which absorbs gases
- Eat fennel which will help eliminate toxins and make you feel lighter.
Take the time to eat and chew your food. This will limit bloating and promote good digestion.
Foods to avoid to avoid bloating and abdominal pain:
- All soft soft drinks and sparkling water
- The chewing gums
- Reduce sugars especially fructose (fruit sugar)
- Foods that ferment in the intestine such as pulses, cabbage, celery, onions or raw vegetables, responsible for flatulence and intestinal gas
Taking care of yourself
When you have a swollen belly and abdominal pain, it's hard to feel good about your body. Lhe ultimate tip for reducing stress and aches and pains and feeling good is ultimately to take care of yourself. Taking care of yourself isn't just about taking a hot bath now and then. It's essential for your well-being and for feeling good about your body. Taking care of yourself to reduce aches and pains is a routine.
Easier said than done, so what are our tips for avoiding a rounded stomach at periods ?
- Take a rest when you feel tired or have low energy.
- Practice abdominal abdominal massages to stimulate blood circulation and aid digestion.
- Do some lymphatic drainage like the Renata França
- Wear loose loose-fitting clothes that won't constrict your abdominal muscles and in which you'll feel comfortable.
If the discomfort is too great during certain phases of the menstrual cycle, consult your doctor, gynaecologist or midwife!
When you have a swollen lower abdomen during periods, the sport can be a powerful ally in reducing pain reduce pain, limit fluid retention and improve blood circulation. Sport and physical activity will improve your transitstrengthen your abdominal muscles.
Here are some exercises that can help you reduce bloating and get a flat stomach during menstruation:
- Walk regularly and after each meal: 30 minutes of brisk walking every day
- Do some stretchingpractice yoga to reduce muscular tension and stress levels
- Belly breath which will naturally massage your intestines and improve bowel transit. Breathing is also a natural treatment for pain, anxiety and many other problems! What's more, you can apply it at any time of day.
- Work on your abs to boost transit and prevent bloating. Do sheathing exercises oror hypopressive abdominal exercises to stimulate your intestinal wall and facilitate digestion during periods.
- Twisting to "wring out" your intestines and relieve gas during menstruation. This will help keep your bowels working properly.
The FAQ of a swollen belly during periods
Does my stomach swell before periods ?
Before menstruation, your belly may swell. This is perfectly normal, and is one of the many symptoms of periods and PMS. In fact, under the action of hormones, your intestine and all the muscles around your intestinal transit slow down and do less work! This causes bloating, constipation and discomfort.
How to reduce stomach swelling during periods ?
To avoid or reduce abdominal pain linked to bloating during menstrual bleeding, we recommend a healthy, balanced diet and regular physical activity to reduce stress and anxiety. Don't hesitate to take care of yourself during this period!