What to choose between size 1 or 2 diapers when baby is born?
A lot of things are to be planned when you are expecting a baby, especially when it is your first! Among these multiple supplies, we find the famous diapers. Planning the number of diapers you will need, the number of packages, the stocks in advance etc. can be a real headache... And that's without counting the story of the diaper size! We explain you in this article the things to take into account to choose the good size at the birth of baby!
What are the differences between size 1 and 2 diapers ?
There are two different diaper sizes adapted to the birth of your baby: size 1 and size 2.
Size 1 diapers
The size 1 diaper is designed for newborns from 2 to 5 kg, until about the second month of life. This is the smallest diaper size available.
Size 2 Diapers
The diaper size 2 is suitable for babies weighing between 3 and 6 kg, and can be used up to 3 to 4 months. However, depending on the weight and size of the baby at birth, size 2 diapers can be used from birth or soon after.
Verdict: what size diaper to choose when baby is born?
As you can see, the two sizes overlap in terms of weight. It is difficult for parents to choose the right diaper.
We advise you to wait for the last ultrasound before buying diapers for your baby. Indeed, it is at the last ultrasound that you will be able to know your baby's projected weight. And the weight is one of the factors that will allow you to choose the right size for your diapers.
The second factor to take into account when choosing a diaper size is the morphology. But this one, it is difficult to foresee in advance !
In any case, you will need a pack of size 1 di apers for your stay in the maternity ward, so for the first days of baby's life. Even if your baby is expected to weigh 4 kg. The stay in the maternity ward, to make sure that the baby is well taken care of, lasts on average from 3 to 5 days. You will only need one or two packs of size 1 diapers. If your baby weighs 4 kg or more, a single pack of size 1 will suffice, and when you get home you can switch directly to size 2.
During the first few days of life, your baby will lose weight (about 10% of his birth weight). This is quite normal, he is actually losing water as he eliminates his meconium (the first stools). The amount of milk he drinks is very low, however.
Your baby will return to his birth weight after 1 to 2 weeks. That's why size 1 diapers are a must for all babies, even if you only need one package.
For smaller babies or premature babies, there is a size 0, but offered by very few brands. This size corresponds to babies from 1 to 2.5 kg. Once your baby has grown, you can start at size 1.
When should I change my baby's diaper size?
Generally, size 1 diapers are only needed for the first few days of your baby's life , while he is in the maternity ward. When you are back at the maternity hospital, depending on your child's weight and morphology, you can switch to the next size up, size 2. There's no need to stock up on size 1 diapers!
Here are some signs that indicate that it's time to move up to the next diaper size:
- If you notice recurring leaks and an overflowing diaper;
- If when you change your baby you see red marks on the skin around the waistband or thighs, it means that the diaper is too tight and potentially too small;
- If you have difficulty closing the elastic of the diaper or if they tend to come off.
When it comes to diapering, you should change your baby after every feed or bottle, and as soon as he has a bowel movement. It is important to change your baby regularly to avoid any type of irritation, diaper rash or redness.
How to choose the right diapers for your baby?
Choosing the right size diaper is essential for your baby's well-being, as he will be wearing them for a long time before learning to be potty trained.
But, to choose a quality diaper for your baby, you should not only take into account the size. Diapers are in direct contact with your baby's skin, which is very sensitive and permeable. Also, it is important to look at :
Diaper without ultra-chemical composition
The composition of the diaper. Especially when you know that a few years ago, 60 million consumers revealed the presence of toxic substances in many baby diapers.
The National Agency of Sanitary Security) was then interested in the composition of disposable diapers and came to the same conclusion, namely that there are indeed dangerous chemical substances for the health of newborns, present in many references of diapers and even exceeding the authorized sanitary thresholds.
Nobody wants to put toxic diapers on their baby. So, to avoid chemical substances, it is recommended to choose organic cotton diapers.
To make sure that the ecological and organic diaper you will choose for your baby is safe, you can refer to several things:
- The manufacturing process: most disposable diapers bleach the cellulose with chlorine dioxide following the ECF (Elementary Chlorine Free) method. 5% of the diapers (ecological diapers) are bleached with the TCF (Totally Chlorine Free) method, which is the most human friendly method because it does not use chlorine or chlorine dioxide compared to the ECF method. To have a good quality diaper and respectful of your baby, choose the TCF method;
- An eco-friendly and skin-friendly diaper brand should be transparent about its composition and manufacturing methods, and chemical analysis reports should be accessible. If you can't find the chemical analysis reports, it's not a great sign;
- Organic diapers should not contain toxic residues, harmful or undesirable substances, carcinogens such as glyphosate, volatile organic compounds, dioxins, furans, perfumes, pesticides, allergens or latex (in the elastics);
- To have a healthy and respectful diaper, endocrine disruptors are also to be banished;
- A good ecological diaper also favors natural raw materials that are softer, more comfortable for your baby's bottom but also more respectful of the environment. The most important thing is that your baby's skin is in direct contact with natural biodegradable materials, made of natural fibers, rather than in contact with plastic. Remember to look at the composition of your diaper but also the percentage of natural fibers!
Having a diaper with impeccable absorption is very important for your baby's comfort and to avoid leaks. Ecological diapers are just as absorbent as chemical diapers. They usually add natural cellulose to the diaper because they reduce the amount of SAP (sodium polyacrylate, a synthetic absorbent material that has no more natural alternative).
Choosing a good diaper for baby means choosing a diaper that fits, is healthy and respectful of his skin, absorbent and comfortable.
The FAQ of the size 1 or 2 birth diaper
When to change from size 1 to size 2 diapers ?
Size 1 diapers are adapted for the first days of your baby's life. Depending on the weight and morphology, you can switch to size 2 more or less when you go home after your stay at the maternity hospital.
How do I know if my baby's diapers are too small?
If you observe leaks, red marks on your baby's skin and you have trouble with the elastics holding in place: his diaper is probably too small.