More and more popular, the menstrual panties seduce by their reusable character. For how long can we use it? How longdoes it last? We explain you the signs to spot, indicating when it is necessary to change it.
On average, the life of a menstrual panty can go from 2 to 7 years. It depends on the models, but also on their quality. The more a menstrual panty is made of well-chosen materials, the longer it can be used. At Elia, for example, our models have an average life span of 5 to 7 years. If you want to enjoy them for as many years as possible, you should take care of them by maintaining them daily.
How to choose a long-lasting menstrual panty?
To be able to use your menstrual panties for a maximum of time, it is necessary to choose them well. It must be of quality, but also adapted to your needs.
Natural and non-toxic materials of manufacture
To begin with, find out about the materials used in the manufacture of your menstrual panties. At Elia, we choose quality materials. There are several certifications to confirm the societal and environmental commitments:
- Organic cotton: the part in contact with the skin, but also the outer layer of our menstrual panties are in organic cotton without toxins. That brings an incomparable softness.
- Eucalyptus fibers (Tencel): it is about the absorbing part retaining the moisture, but also the odors to offer a feeling of freshness all the day;
- The PUL: it is the waterproof layer of our period panties. It retains liquids while offering optimal ventilation.
An absorption capacity adapted to your menstrual flow
Another essential point is that your period panties must be adapted to your needs, i.e. your flow. Models are available for light, intermediate or heavy flows. We also offer models designed to accompany women during their postpartum period in case of heavy discharge, urine leakage or bleeding.
You may also find it useful to have several pairs of menstrual underwear to alternate between at different times of the menstrual cycle. Your absorbent underwear will last longer since you will use several of them, they wear out less quickly.
Is the menstrual panties profitable?
Thanks to its lifespan extending over several years, the menstrual panties are very profitable. A savings calculator allows you to evaluate when the purchase of your menstrual panties is profitable compared to the use of disposable sanitary protections.
In addition to being very economical, a menstrual panty will also be ecological. On average, the use of a menstrual panties during 5 to 7 years will avoid you to use approximately 2 500 disposable sanitary protections. However, the latter take between 500 and 800 years to decompose: a nice gesture for the planet but also for your wallet.
If you take care of it, it is possible to extend the life of your menstrual panties. It will be able to accompany you during 5 to 7 years during your periods. It offers you comfort and efficiency thanks to a careful design with quality products.
How to lengthen the life of a menstrual panties?
Fortunately, there are some good gestures to know to optimize the life of its menstrual panties. They are very easy to apply daily.
To wash correctly its panties of rule
First step impossible to circumvent, the washing of its menstrual panties. It is essential to follow well the recommendations provided by the manufacturer at the time of the purchase of your underwear:
- The rinsing: rinse the menstrual panties with cold water after each use to eliminate the blood. No hot water, it could fix the blood on the fabric;
- The washing: wash the panties with the machine with 30° maximum not to damage the fibres. You can also wash your period panties by hand if you wish;
- Protection: use a washing net to protect the fabric, especially if there is lace. This will avoid rubbing with other clothes;
- Laundry: choose a suitable laundry detergent, without softener or bleach, that does not contain chemicals. We also advise against glycerin-based detergents, a greasy agent that can clog the pores of the underwear fibers. You can turn to a specially designed detergent;
- The drying: make dry the menstrual panties with the free air quite flat, especially not with the tumble dryer or close to a source of heat.
If some odors persist after the washing, you can add drops of essential oil of lemon or tea tree to the antibacterial and antiseptic properties to eliminate them.
Do not wear menstrual panties for more than 12 hours at a time
Period panties can be worn for 12 hours straight, including overnight, but this should not be exceeded. The panty needs to be rinsed after a while to prevent the pores of the fibers from clogging. It will also be more comfortable for you to change your protection after this time.
Do not bathe with a traditional menstrual panty
Even if they are absorbent with waterproof parts, menstrual panties are not made for bathing. Especially in hot water. For your bathings, you can turn to a menstrual bathing suit 1 piece or 2 pieces.
The different reasons to recycle your menstrual panties
Like any other garment, your menstrual panties can end up being damaged over the years. It is thus important to recognize certain signs indicating that it is time to change it.
Menstrual panties are no longer absorbent
If you find that your period panties are not absorbing blood, white discharge or bladder weakness as well as they used to, it's a sign. A menstrual panty can be worn for 12 hours. If you need to change them more often, it may be a sign to throw them away. Before you do, you can use baking soda to restore its absorbent properties:
- Rinse your period panties completely: there should be no blood left;
- Fill a container with hot water and immerse it in it;
- Add a spoonful of percarbonate of soda and mix;
- Leave it overnight, the next day, wash the panties in the machine.
The percarbonate of soda makes it possible to unclog the pores of the fibres of the panties. These being unblocked, they find their capacity of absorption.
Seams are loosened
To be effective, your period panties must stay in place and not move. Quality seams that do not come apart are therefore essential. If you feel the seams loosening on your models, it may mean they are at the end of their life. You can try to mend them, but you will have to be careful to avoid unpleasant surprises.
The panties are no longer comfortable to wear
In this case, the period panties must be replaced. It must be comfortable to wear to offer you maximum well-being, especially in a period like menstruation.