What is the composition of hair? What is hair made of?
Hairs are also called "hair shafts". They form in a hair bulb, an average of 4mm deep beneath the skin. The bulb contains two cells: keratinocytes, which synthesize keratin and provide a solid structure that is both waterproof and protective (protects what?), and melanocytes, which define the pigmentation of skin and hair.
The bulb is nourished by blood vessels that supply nutrients. When the hair is contracted or becomes irritated (during a stressful episode, for example), the muscle stimulates the sebaceous glands surrounding the base of the hair. The glands then release sebum onto the skin. But be careful! Sweat is not hair-related! Sweat glands (those that produce perspiration) are located in the epidermis and dermis.
What's the purpose of hair?Once you know all this, you realize that hair doesn't just happen.
These have several advantages:
- They protect us from changes in temperature and ultraviolet rays (as hair does on the scalp), but also from impurities (the same goes for eyelashes and eyebrows), since they retain them! It's the keratin synthesized by the keratinocyte that gives the hair a certain impermeability, protecting us from UV rays and the sun. Hair offers a little sun protection.
- Hair also regulates body temperature, thanks to keratin. They eliminate sweat when it's too hot.
- As I said before: hair has muscle cells, which is what enables it to stand up, for example during a stressful event or when you get the shivers.
- Hair diffuses and retains sexual odors, playing an important role in sexual attraction. Pubic hair also reduces the risk of vaginal dryness and protects mucous membranes from infection.
- When it comes to hair, we lose around 100 a day! Hair, like other body hairs, has an essential role to play: it protects your brain from cold (hypothermia) and heat (sunstroke).
With all this information, you're in a position to choose whether or not you want to keep your hair.
Despite all this, the decision to wax or not is yours: everyone is free to remove their hair or keep it. The important thing is to feel good about yourself and your body! You now have periods to change the periods game!
To feel totally at ease in your body, discover our collection of menstrual panties to accompany you throughout your cycle!